Mariachiara Zanetti is Full Professor of Environmental Engineering at Politecnico of Torino. She graduated in Mining Engineering and obtained her PhD in Chemical Engineering.
She was the Head of DITAG Department of Politecnico of Torino from 2007 to 2011, Head of DIATI Department of Politecnico of Torino from 2012 to 2015, Member of the Academic Senate of Politecnico di Torino from 2012 to 2105 and Vice Head of DIATI Department of Politecnico of Torino from 2015 to 2019.
She is Member of the World Economic Forum, Member of the Third World Organization for Women in Science and Member of the Control Board of Hydroaid – International Water School for Development.
She is actually Member of the Advisory Board of several industrial Companies.
Her scientific activity is related, in particular, to the following areas:
- Analysis of the production cycle of companies to minimize the polluting flows in the environment by using dedicated technologies for the treatment and reduction at the source of pollution.
- Technologies for the advanced treatment of wastewater and drinking water.
- Characterization and remediation of contaminated sites.
- Technologies for the treatment and recycling of industrial waste.
- Water management for the minimization of consumption and disposal costs.
- Dynamics of pollutants in the atmosphere and evaluation of externalities.
- Cost analysis and environmental management systems.
Her main activities are:
- The development of applied research in Environmental Engineering through public and private funding: she managed several projects financed by public and private entities aimed to the development of new technologies in order to achieve the environmental sustainability.
- The organization of research groups, conferences and lectures in Master degree and Doctorate courses related to methods and technologies for minimizing the environmental impact caused by human activities.
She is the author of more than 250 publications on referred journals, book chapters and conference proceedings.